London, 21 January 2004 – L-Soft, the premier provider of email list and email delivery solutions used on the Internet and intranets, today urged e-marketing companies to improve email marketing standards to meet the new regulations set down by the EU.
To assist e-marketers in ensuring compliance with the new EU directive on privacy and electronic communication, L-Soft has today published a briefing paper containing clear advice and guidelines on how companies can change and improve their email distribution standards.
"Spam is not only giving email marketing a bad name, but is also dramatically affecting the impact of such campaigns," said Eric Thomas, CEO and founder, L-Soft. "The EU directive, which demands that email marketing be done on an opt-in basis, will not only help reduce spam volume, but will also increase the effectiveness of e-marketing. Research clearly shows that permission-based email marketing generates higher click-through rates than opt-out marketing."
In the briefing paper published today, L-Soft recommends the following steps to improve email marketing standards:
- Build email lists in-house - build your list internally, even if it takes time, so the quality of your recipient list remains at a high level.
- Ask for permission, use double opt-in - Send direct marketing email messages only to subscribers who have given their prior consent.
- Provide relevancy and value in every message - The email message content itself is the most important factor for the continued success of email marketing. When messages are wanted, relevant and interesting, the attention of recipients will remain high.
- Keep an accurate audit of how your company received permission to contact the subscribers of the lists - some people forget they signed up to receive information.
- Make sure that your company's name (or product name) is clearly stated in the domain name which appears in the "Sender" line of the email.
L-Soft specialises in the development of products and services for professional email communication management. Since 1994, L-Soft has pioneered the email communication industry with LISTSERV®, the premier software for email list management. L-Soft's technology is tailored for commercial usage, offering outstanding performance, reliability and scalability. With offices in the UK, U.S., Germany and Sweden, the company serves over 3,000 customers across the globe including AOL, British Council, BSkyB, Centaur Communications, CNN, easyJet, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Microsoft and Procter & Gamble.
For more information contact L-Soft via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
LISTSERV is a registered trademark licensed to L-Soft international, Inc.
All other trademarks, both marked and not marked, are the property of their respective owners.
See Guidelines for Proper Usage of the LISTSERV Trademark for more details.